The South Bank Lion or Coade Lion sits on the south side of Westminster Bridge, but used to guard a brewery on the south bank, The Lion Brewery, which was demolished in 1949 to make way for the Queen Elizabeth Hall.
The Lion, made from a man made stone and originally painted red, survived the bombing of the Second World War and was saved from the demolition on the wishes of King George VI. It finally arrived on Westminster Bridge in 1966.
In this picture, the Lion looks for all the world like it is guarding The Eye, with the sole red pod providing a memory of the original colour of the statue.
- Product Code: EYG
- Availability: 3